Portsmouth is the university that sees you as you are: one-of-a-kind. When you join our friendly community in the UK's only island city, you won’t be expected to fit into a mould. Instead, we’re here to help you become even more you.
Our degrees are designed to give you the skills, knowledge and confidence you need to make your life anything you want it to be. Wherever you’re coming from, we’ll help you get to where you want to be.
Top 10 reasons to study at the University of Portsmouth include:
- Excellent teaching. With a Gold rating in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment, we’re officially recognised as one of the UK’s best universities for teaching.
- Highly rated university. Portsmouth achieved the full five-star rating for excellence in the internationally recognised QS World University rankings 2024.
- Career-ready graduates. With transferable skills, industry insight and professional connections, it’s no wonder 94 per cent of Portsmouth graduates are in work or further study (HESA 2020/21).
- Fantastic facilities. With a £400m plan for the future of our campus, we’re always improving and updating – from our Centre for Creative and Immersive XR, to our sustainable sports centre.
- Here for our students. If you’re ever struggling with anything, be it your mental health or your studies, we are here to hear you and help you.
- Passion for the planet. Our University is working hard to become carbon positive. And through our Revolution Plastics initiative, we’re helping to make the whole world more sustainable.
- Practical experience. From facilities that simulate workplaces, to live projects with industry and opportunities for professional placements, you’ll learn practical skills that employers value.
- Guaranteed room in halls. All new, full-time undergraduate students who make us their firm first choice and meet accommodation deadlines are guaranteed a room in halls.
- Great place to live. Portsmouth is a welcoming island city community with something for everyone – from sea views, beaches and Victorian piers, to lively nightlife and discount boutiques.
- Dedicated help and guidance. From counsellors and chaplains to housing, finance and careers advisers, plus your own personal tutor, we have experts on hand to help you achieve your goals.
Portsmouth comes alive at night, with gigs, bars, restaurants, clubs and shows.
Dance until dawn at PRYZM, Astoria, Popworld or one of the other Portsmouth nightclubs. Experience some live music at the Wedgewood Rooms, or one of the many other live venues around the city. Or if something quieter is your cup of tea, have a relaxed summer picnic by the sea, watching the sunset from Southsea Common.
Halls of residence
We guarantee all new first-year undergraduate students a place in halls if you make us your firm first choice and meet accommodation deadlines. For Clearing applicants, we guarantee a place in halls if you accept your clearing offer within 48 hours of receiving it and apply for accommodation as a new full-time undergraduate student by 23 August 2023.
All halls at Portsmouth are close to everything you might need. There’s a choice of accommodation to suit a range of budgets, including: self-catered or catered, en suite or shared bathrooms, shared flats or corridor rooms, studio flats, accessible rooms and designated quieter areas.
The Residence Life team provides wellbeing and support services in halls, 24/7. We guarantee all new first-year undergraduates a place in halls if you make us your firm first choice and meet accommodation deadlines.
Portsmouth isn’t just a great place to study – it’s a great place to live. Pretty beaches and gritty street art, rich in naval history and buzzing with indie start-ups, alive with possibility. With our university woven through the heart of the UK’s only island city, it’s all on your doorstep.
Getting to and from Portsmouth couldn’t be easier. There are three stations close to our campus and popular residential areas. We’re well connected to London and other major cities by train and coach.
Portsmouth is a bike-friendly city - compact and mostly flat, so it’s easy and safe to cycle or simply walk around. We have a free, dedicated University bus service for students and staff during term time. This loops around our campus and popular areas where students live.
Clubs and Societies
We have a huge range of student-led groups, covering physical activities, culture, politics, faith, fun and much more. Take the stage, play in an orchestra or even present a TV programme in Victory Studios. Whatever your interests, you will find like-minded students to share them with.
What's on offer? Your choices range from Anime, Breakdance, or Cuban Salsa, to Water Polo, Yoga, and everything in between.
We love welcoming new students to Portsmouth. Freshers' Week is bursting with events and activities designed to make your first days here extra special. Expect loads of opportunities to find your people and settle in. The fantastic Freshers' Fayre is your chance to meet all the student-led groups looking for new members. You can enjoy lots of freebies, too.