If you're looking for a university to get you where you want to be, Portsmouth is the place for you. We're unpretentious, professional and break the mould. We focus on providing real career and life opportunities. We will give you all the support you need to go beyond what you think is possible.
Some of our top stats at a glance:
- Top 25 university in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2019).
- Outstanding Gold rated teaching for our students (TEF).
- 97.5% of our graduates are in work or further study six months after graduation. That makes us the number 1 university in the south east and top 10% nationally (DLHE 2017).
- Number 1 in the UK for boosting graduate salaries (The Economist 2017).
- Guaranteed room in halls for all new full-time undergraduate students who make us their firm choice and meet accommodation deadlines.
- 88% student satisfaction in 2017, with many courses receiving 100%.
- One of the most affordable cities in the south for students (NatWest Student Living Index 2017).
By night Portsmouth comes alive, with gigs, bars, restaurants, clubs and shows.
Dance until dawn at PRYZM, Astoria, Popworld or one of the other Portsmouth nightclubs. Experience some live music at the Wedgewood Rooms, or one of the many other live venues around the city. Or if something quieter is your cup of tea, have a relaxed summer picnic on Southsea Common.
Halls of residence
We guarantee all new first-year undergraduate students a place in halls, provided we're your firm first choice and meet accommodation deadlines.
There's a huge range of accommodation options to choose from in our nine Halls of Residence including: self-catered or catered, ensuite or shared bathrooms, shared flats or corridor rooms, studio flats, accommodation suitable for students with disabilities, female or male-only designated areas and designated quieter areas.
Portsmouth is an exciting vibrant city with a modern outlook and great cultural and entertainment facilities. Steeped in history but with a modern vibe, it's compact enough that everything is close by and then there's the sea!
It's flat - perfect for walking or cycling. One minute you could be standing on the deck of an historic ship, the next walking down a bustling shopping street, browsing a gallery or sitting on the beach.
clubs and societies
We have a huge range of student-led societies covering physical activities, culture, politics, faith and much more. Take to the stage, play in an orchestra or even present a TV programme in Victory Studios. Whatever your interests, you will find like-minded students to share them with.
A sample of what's on offer: Bhangra, Breakdance, Circus Skills, Cuban Salsa, Drum and Base, Gaming, Football, Rounders, Sci-Fi, Skydiving, and much more.
We love to welcome new students to the University of Portsmouth. Freshers' Week, is bursting with events and activities designed to make your first days at university extra special. Expect loads of opportunities to meet new people, make friends and settle in.
We have a fantastic Freshers' Fayre to welcome all new students where you can meet all the student-led groups looking for new members (plus the freebies)!